The historic Woodson House & farm located at the Battle for the Bridge Preserve, was the home of Anthony L. & Eliza B. Chapline Woodson & their nine children. During the Civil War, the property received devastating damage. The Summer kitchen is original.
The grounds and exterior of the house is open daily for the public. The interior of the house is open during special events. Visit our events section for more information or contact us at the Historical Society for a personal tour! (270)-524-0101
The Woodson House
1309 S. Dixie Hwy.
Munfordville, KY 42765
Thomas Woodson received this farm as a land grant from Thomas Jefferson for service in the Revolutionary War. His son Anthony made his home on this site and developed a prosperous farmstead, considered one of the finest in the county. From his front porch he and his family could see the magnificent L&N Railroad bridge across the river.
That bridge would be Woodson's undoing. Drawn by the strategic importance of the bridge, military forces of both the Union and Confederate armies occupied Munfordville and Woodsonville continually throughout the war. During this military occupation, Anthony Woodson suffered great losses, as it was on his farm that the Battle of Rowlett's Station and the Battle of Munfordville were fought. His fertile earth was piled into fortifications, his barns and outbuildings were burned, his timber was leveled, and all his rail fences were taken for firewood. Unable to farm, Woodson had no means of income.
In 1864, the family filed a claim for war reparations from the Federal Government. Congress had passed act to reimburse loyal civilians for losses caused by the armies in battle and through occupation. Woodson's claim for $12,126.00 was at first disallowed because a witness described him as "a Southern man." Years later the family finally accepted $4,594.00 in settlement, in time to rebuild their house, which had recently burned. They used the money to rebuild their home using the same foundation and much the same design as the first. The Summer Kitchen at the rear of the house is original.